Friday, July 29, 2011

Easy summer meal - Shish Kabobs


This is a easy summer meal that I have been making for a few years.  I just came up with it one time when I had a pork roast that needed to be cooked and I wasn't sure what to do with it.


Ingredients:
Marinated pork roast
Multi-colored peppers
Large onion
Medium size squash or zucchini

Feel free to use other kinds of veggies also.  Especially ones that you might normally find on a Shish Kabob.  You could also make these with just veggies and no meat.


This is the kind of marinated roast that I use:


 
Utensils:
Skewers
Tin foil
Grill
Sharp knife
Cutting board

Step 1:
Chop up the roast and veggies into large chunks.  Make sure that the pieces are big enough that they will stay on the skewer.
Step 2:
Place the veggies on the skewer.  There is no special way to do this.  I try to put the skewer through the middle of the veggie/meat and alternate the different veggies.  In general, I use 3 to 4 pieces of meat per skewer.  It is also best to have either a piece of squash or pepper on the end.  They tend to hold up the best when cooked.  Also, feel free to place the pieces as close together or far apart as you would like. 

Note on skewers:  For a wedding present, we received a grill set and it included 4 metal skewers with wooden handles.  This is what I use for our shish kabobs.  I am sure that you can use other types, even plain wooden ones. 


Shish Kabobs prior to cooking

We usually have extra pieces of veggies and meat.  I just place them in a piece of foil....


and wrap it up. 


Step 3:
Place the kabobs and tin foil packet on the grill.  My husband usually does the grilling so I am not sure what temp he cooks them at but probably like a medium temp.  He cooks them for about 20 to 25 minutes. 



Eat and enjoy!  You could pair the kabobs up with some rice, noodles or a salad.  Great, easy family meal!

I am linking up at The Shine Project today!  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment