Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day!  Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, grandmothers, and soon-to be mothers.  My mom passed a year and a half ago and I really miss her.  Especially on days like today. 


My sister, my mom and I two years ago at my cousins wedding

 Even though my mother is gone, I still got to celebrate with my mother-in-law and munchkins.  I wasn't completely sure what to get my mil but had a few ideas.  This is what I ended up making her.


The frame was super easy to make and I really think it turned out good. 

Hand print picture frame tutorial

materials:
-acrylic paint (or any other paint that would cover the frame)
-paint brush
-old frame
-scraps of fabric (inch to inch and a half wide, 10 to 12 inches long)
-hot glue gun and glue sticks
-white paper that will fit into your frame

Step 1
Find an old picture frame and paint it any color of your choosing.  I used acrylic paint on my frame and put on two coats.  This did a decent job of covering the frame.  I am sure you could use other kinds of paint (i.e. spray paint).

Step 2
Using your scraps of fabric make fabric roses for the corners.  I personally followed this tutorial to make the roses. 

My first fabric rose ever!  They were so easy to make!
I will definitely be making some more.

Step 3
Glue the roses onto the frame.  I overlapped mine because I thought it looked cool.  Play around with them on the frame and adjust them before you glue the flowers down. 



Step 4
Paint your child(ren)s hands and place them on the paper.  I just used a piece of plain printer paper.  Take the paint brush and paint acrylic paint onto their hands.  Then place their hands onto the paper.  Make sure you have an idea of where you want the hands before you start.  Also, it's a good idea to only do one hand at a time.  The acrylic paint that I used dried fast and some of it was even drying before I could get the entire hand painted.

Step 5
Let the hand prints dry and put the frame back together. 

TA-DA!!!  All finished!  Now you have a beautiful gift for that special mom or grandma.

My inspiration came from this blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment